Get Lucky in 2017 0
It's a tradition as Southern as SEC Football.....beginning the new year with a pot of black-eyed peas to bring luck and prosperity in the upcoming year. Whether you serve your peas at a large family gathering or a quiet meal for two, we have all the ingredients to make your black-eyed peas extra special.
We have a variety of olive oils and balsamic vinegars to accompany your peas and take them from good to great. For a smokey flavor, add a dash of Smokey Hickory or Chipotle EVOO or Hickory Dark Balsamic Vinegar. To heat things up, try Jalapeño or Habanero EVOO or Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar. And you can never, ever go wrong with a touch of garlic. Try Garlic Mushroom or Garlic EVOO or Garlic Dark Balsamic Vinegar.
If you plan to serve cornbread with your peas, we suggest using Jalapeño or Rosemary EVOO to prepare the cornbread or for frying your cornbread.
Spice It Up
If you like your peas spicy, we've got you covered. Try one of our Bravado Spice Company hot sauces and heat things up. If you love traditional red hot sauces, Crimson is just right for you. But, if you want something more exotic, you'll love Pineapple/Habanero or Jalapeño/Green Apple. And for the truly adventurous, try the Blueberry/Ghost Pepper. We also carry seasonings from Bravado Spice Company that will heat things up, too.
Right before serving, add a touch of one of our delectable finishing salts. We offer a variety of flavors that will suit every palate. Our favorites for peas and beans include: Hickory Smoked, Alderwood Smoked, and Kentucky Bourbon Smoked.
However you serve your black-eyed peas, we want to thank you for your business in 2016, and we hope 2017 is your best year yet.
- Lisa Emmert
- Tags: Alderwood Smoked Salt Bravado Spice Company Hot Sauces Chipotle EVOO Garlic Dark Balsamic Vinegar Garlic EVOO Garlic Mushroom EVOO Habanero EVOO Hickory Dark Balsamic Vinegar Hickory Smoked Salt jalapeno EVOO jalapeño white balsamic vinegar Kentucky Bourbon Smoked Salt Rosemary EVOO smokey hickory EVOO
Flavors of the Week, 12/20 0
This week before Christmas, we are highlighting some of our staff's favorite combinations. All 3 of these pairings make great gifts.
-- Smokey Garlic: Another version of this delicious flavor combination. This option features Smokey Hickory EVOO and Garlic Dark Balsamic Vinegar. It is the perfect marinade for anything grilled or smoked. A perennial favorite.
-- Tuscan Herb and Sassy Italian: Pour a little Tuscan Herb EVOO and sprinkle with the Sassy Italian Bread Dipper. Serve this with some French bread for an appetizer at your holiday gatherings. Your guests will love it.
We can package these in beautiful gift bags or baskets, and we can also help you design a custom gift too. Stop by the shop this week!
Flavors of the Week, 11/28 0
We're highlighting some of our favorite pairings this week to give you ideas for gifts your friends and family will love. Drop by the shop, try them out, and buy 2 sets...one for a gift and one for you!
-- Garlic EVOO and Hickory Dark Balsamic: This is my absolute favorite pairing! I use it for marinating steaks and pork. It tastes incredible and makes your house smell wonderful. You MUST try this combo.
-- Butter Infused EVOO and Bordeaux Cherry Dark Balsamic: Reminds me of the cherry pies my grandmother used to bake. They were one of my favorite treats. Makes a great salad dressing and glaze for your holiday ham.
-- Basil Lemongrass EVOO and Raspberry Ginger White Balsamic Vinegar: This flavorful pairing adds a touch of Asian flavors to salads, roasted veggies, poultry, and fish. An EvilO favorite.
If you're looking for a specific pairing for a special gift or to highlight your holiday meals, stop by the shop. We can help you find the perfect flavors.
Flavors of the Week 10/10/12 0
As temperatures continue to cool outside, we’re bringing the heat at EvilO. This week we feature our Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar in 2 of our pairings. The jalapeño balsamic adds the natural sweetness of the vinegar to make this flavor extra special. We hope you love them as much as we do. Stop by the shop this week, and try them out.
Smoke and Fire: We’ve paired our Smokey Hickory EVOO and Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar for a smokey and spicy treat. This will taste great with anything you smoke or throw on the grill. A perfect addition to your weekend tailgating. For this weekend’s Octoberfest celebration, try this take on German potato salad.
Kicked Up German Potato Salad
(adapted from Five Heart Home)
2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
12 ounces bacon, cut into 1” pieces
2 tablespoons Smokey Hickory EVOO
1/3 cup Jalapeno White Balsamic Vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Toss potatoes with EVOO. Spread on baking sheet in a single layer, and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon with slotted spoon, leaving bacon grease in the pot.
3. Remove pot from heat and slowly add vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper to the bacon grease. Stir to combine. Return pot to heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a couple minutes, then add garlic. Cook garlic for 1 minute.
4. Remove pot from heat and add roasted potatoes. Gently stir until all of the liquid is absorbed. Add bacon and parsley and gently stir until combined.
5. Transfer to serving dish and serve warm.
Tuscan Fig: Our best-selling Tuscan Herb EVOO is the perfect match for our Fig Dark Balsamic Vinegar. These 2 flavors complement each other, and will taste great for simply dipping bread, but will also make a great marinade. With bread dipping in mind, we suggest this recipe for a unique savory biscotti.
Tuscan Herb Biscotti
(adapted from A Family Feast)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup fine corn meal
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup Tuscan Herb EVOO
Fig Dark Balsamic Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, corn meal, and baking powder. Stir in Parmesan, walnuts, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Mix until well-blended.
3. Whisk together eggs, sugar, and EVOO until well-combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to form a dough. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into two logs (~ 10” x 3”). Transfer to baking sheet and press slightly to flatten.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet for ~15 minutes.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 300F. Carefully transfer logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, slice each log crosswise, on a slight diagonal into 1/2-inch slices. Return slices to baking sheet, laying them on their sides.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn each slice to the other side. Bake for another 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
7. Drizzle with Fig Dark Balsamic to serve.
Kickin’ Margarita: This pairing of Persian Lime EVOO and Jalapeño White Balsamic Vinegar will work with a variety of Tex-Mex dishes. Try this salsa recipe to snack on while you watch football this weekend.
Black Bean Salsa
(adapted from The Blond Cook)
1 (15-ounce) can yellow whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup red onion, chopped
2 cups Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, shopped
1/4 cup Jalapeno White Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons Persian Lime EVOO
1/2 teaspoon, salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Add all ingredients to a large bowl, and stir to combine.
2. Serve with tortilla chips.
Caprese: Our Basil EVOO and 25 Star Dark Balsamic Vinegar bring you the classic Caprese flavors. Perfect for creating your own Caprese Salad at home.
Caprese Pasta Salad
(adapted from Pip and Ebby)
1 (16-ounce) box of Rotini pasta, cooked and drained
8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
1 (8-ounce) container of fresh Mozzarella pearls
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup pesto
3 tablespoons Basil EVOO
2 tablespoons 25 Star Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
2. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Serve cold or chilled.
Get Your Grill On 0
Labor Day weekend is upon us, and EvilO has the ingredients you need for the best BBQ on the lake. Here are some suggestions for appetizers, grilling, salads, and even dessert.
Try these unique and delicious combinations for both marinades and drizzling on your grilled dishes.
— Garlic EVOO with Hickory Dark Balsamic Vinegar
— Jalapeno EVOO and Pineapple White Balsamic Vinegar
— Smoked Hickory EVOO with Pear White Balsamic Vinegar
— Chipotle EVOO with Garlic Dark Balsamic Vinegar
— Tuscan Herb EVOO with Italian Lambrusco Red Wine Vinegar
— Rosemary EVOO, Meyer Lemon EVOO with Garlic Dark Balsamic Vinegar
— Garlic EVOO with Honey Ginger White Balsamic Vinegar
In addition, our 25 Star Dark Balsamic Vinegar tastes fantastic drizzled over grilled steaks.
It may be the beginning of September, but temperatures are still hot. If you plan on serving a salad at your holiday gathering, check out these tasty salad dressing ideas.
— Garlic EVOO with Italian Lambrusco Red Wine Vinegar
— Tuscan Herb EVOO with Garlic Dark Balsamic Vinegar
— Basil EVOO with Strawberry White Balsamic Vinegar
Our Salad Sprayer makes dressing salads (and veggies) easy and convenient. They feature 2 chambers to keep your oil and vinegar separate. You control the percentage of oil to vinegar to spray on your salad. Choose from 100% oil or vinegar and anything in between.
Yes!! Oil and vinegar compliment your desserts, too. From simple garnishes to baked goods, there is a decadent dessert idea for you.
— Blood Orange EVOO compliments chocolate very well. In fact, it’s addictive. Use it in place of other oils or fats in your recipes for brownies, chocolate cake, or chocolate cupcakes. You’ll be hooked.
— Blood Orange EVOO and Chocolate Dark Balsamic Vinegar drizzled over ice cream or cheesecake. Or, use it as a dipping sauce for angel food cake.
— Coconut White Balsamic Vinegar and Pineapple White Balsamic Vinegar drizzled over ice cream, fruit, or cheesecake.
— Jalapeno EVOO or White Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic Cilantro EVOO or Dark Balsamic Vinegar taste great added to salsa, guacamole, or black beans.
— Chipotle EVOO goes great with our Sassy Italian bread dipper.
— Pair Basil EVOO with Sassy Italian bread dipper and Fleur de Sel finishing salt.
We’d love to help create the perfect combination for your Labor Day celebrations. Come down to the shop and sample all our oils and vinegars.
- Lisa Emmert
- Tags: 25 Star Dark Balsamic Vinegar Basil EVOO Blood Orange EVOO Chipotle EVOO Chocolate Dark Balsamic Vinegar Coconut White Balsamic Vinegar Garlic Dark Balsamic Vinegar Garlic EVOO Hickory Dark Balsamic Vinegar Honey Ginger White Balsamic Vinegar Italian Lambrusco Red Wine Vinegar jalapeno EVOO Meyer Lemon EVOO Pear White Balsamic Vinegar Pineapple White Balsamic Vinegar Rosemary EVOO smokey hickory EVOO Strawberry White Balsamic Vinegar Tuscan herb EVOO
Flavors of the Week 8/23/16 0
The rains have ceased, the sun is shining, and we have new flavors for you to savor.
Grilled Pear: This one is perfect for those last few summer weekends. Smoked Hickory Olive Oil pairs with Pear White Balsamic Vinegar. Makes an incredible marinade for chicken, an unexpected bread dipper, and a great salad dressing.
Chocolate Covered Orange: Sweeten things up with Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar and Blood Orange Olive Oil. Tastes great drizzled over ice cream or cheesecake.
Cinnamon Pumpkin Pie: Get ready for Fall, with this scrumptious combination. We’ve mixed Cinnamon Olive Oil with Pumpkin Pie Spice Balsamic Vinegar. You’ll love this drizzled over muffins, scones, cheesecake, baked apples, or oatmeal.
Visit us today to try out these new combos!